The first excavations in Foça were done between 1912-1920. The most recent excavation is done between 1989-1990. A mausoleum called “Stone House” can be seen on the roadside 7km away from Foça in the direction of İzmir. This mausoleum is half carved. This structure was built under Persian influence and Lycia-Lydia tradition and it dates to 400 BC.
On the land between two bays of Foça with the name of Kücükdeniz and Büyükdeniz there is a castle called Bes Kapilar Kalesi. This ancient castle was given to Manuel Zacharna in 1275 by Michel Paleoloc and walls were repaired in time by the Genoese. After Phocaea had got under control of the Ottoman Empire in 1455, the walls were restored and equipped with nine towers that can be spotted today. The section used as Openair Theatre today in Beş Kapılar was “boathouse” before. According to an inscription on the entrance door, this renovations were made between 1538-1539 by Armorer Iskender Aga,the woodcutter of Sultan Mustafa Khan who was the son of Suleyman the Magnificient and served as Saruhan Sanjak Beylic between 1533-1541. According to sources, the castle called “Outer Castle or Genoese Castle” on the southwestern of Foça was built in 1678 by Ottomans as a fortress on a strategic area to protect the region. The fortress situated on a promontory was separated with a big moat in order to defense. During underwater archeological researches, cannonballs were found at the bottom of the sea near to the fortress. These cannonballs are thought to be thrown with catapult from the fortress to the enemy ships.
In its interior there are remains of a Turkish bath. The structure in the shape of a stone tomb on the foothill of Can Hill (400 BC) is known as “Devil’s Bath”. Prof. Ekrem Akurgal says that under the city’s current residential area there is an ancient city and it can be found out. But this isn’t possible because of these residents. A walk through Foça’streets will provide you a chance to see very nice houses. Traditional Foça houses can be divided in three types as Tower House, Row House, and Detached House. Tower Houses; they can be found in groups or separated in villages which are abandoned or still residential on the outside of Foça. They are called as tower houses because their heights are greater than their width. Row Houses; these houses were built in a row and next to each other in the streets. This kind of houses don’t have front yards, their door open directly into the street. Detached Houses; they are unplastered masonry stone structures in discrete order.
Ağalar Mansion situated on the first residential area of Foca, is one of the most typical. Fatih Mosque is also one of the Turkish works in the district. (1455) )